Thursday 29 September 2016

joanna newsom soft as chalk

Lyrics from valclaracampoamor.blogspot.com
joanna newsom soft as chalk Lyrics, singer by JOANNA NEWSOM

so, so long ago and so far away
when time was just a line that you fed me when you wanted to stay
we'd talk as soft as chalk till morning came, pale as a pearl
no time, no time, mow, i have got all the time in the world

say, honey, did you belong to me?
tell me, honey, was your heart at rest when, darlin'
all the mourning doves were howling us
a song of love's oh god awful lawlessness? lawlessness
say, honey, did you belong to me?
tell me, honey, did i pass your test?
i lay, as still as death, until the dawn
whereupon i wrested from your god awful lawlessness, lawlessness

i roam around the tidy grounds of my dappled sanatorium
coatless, i sit amongst the motes, adrift, and i dote upon my pinesap gum
and the light, through the pines in brassy tones lays over me, dim as rum
and thick as molasses, and so time passes, and so, my heart, tomorrow comes

i feel you leaning out back with the crickets
loyal heart marking the soon ness
darkness, tonight, still the mourning doves will summon us
their song of love's neverdoneing lawlessness, lawlessness

while, over and over, rear up, stand down, lay round
trying to sound out, or guess the reasons
i sleep like a soldier, without rest
but there is no treason, where there is only lawlessness, lawlessness

in the last week of the last year, i was aware
i took a blind shot, across the creek at the black bear
when he roused me in the night and left me cowering with my light, calling out
who is there? who's there?
who is there?

i watched you sleep, repeating my prayer
you give love a little shove and it becomes terror
and now i am calling in a sadness beyond anger and beyond fear
who is there? who's there?
who is there?

i glare and nod like the character god bearing down upon the houses and lawns
i knew a little bit, but, darling, you were it and, darling, now it is long gone
sweetheart, in your clean, bright start back there, behind a hill, and a dell
and a state line or two, i'll be thinking of you, yes, i'll be thinking and be wishing you well
we land, i stand but i wait for the sound of the bell
i have to catch a cab and my bags are at the carousel
and then, lord, just then time alone will only tell, you mourning dove


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.